Friday, May 18, 2012

Stressful Appointment with Peri

I have a headache from thinking about it all!!

Mandy (Baby A) is doing great.   She weighs 3 lb;11 oz.  Heart Rate of 156 bpm.

Emily (Baby B) is good but not growing as well.  4 weeks ago she was in the 23rd percentile.  Today she was in the 12th percentile at 2 lb;10 oz.  The peri is concerned of course with the drop in percentile.  10th percentile is considered IUGR, Emily is not there but it looks like that's the way she is headed.   

What happens Now?
We go weekly to my Peri.  This was going to happen anyways because of the twin factor but now we are also keeping a close eye on Emily.   If she shows any more drops in percentile or any distress during nonstress tests my Peri said I will be admitted to the hosptial and/or delivered.    

Why is this happening?
IUGR is common in twins.   Emily's cord may not be functioning as well as Mandy's so at my weekly appointments we will be watching the flow in the cord as well as other things.   Cassie was small for her age to, when she was born I believe she was under the 5th percentile....I have to double check on this.  So, it could also be that I grow small babies.  We will see what next weeks appointment shows.

Other News
4 weeks ago the Peri said I had a very vascular section of my uterus.   She wanted to check it today again.   It is still very vascular and they are still sure its maternal and not fetal.   She told me it was very "Impressive".    She was just staring at the ultrasound screen, she said its behind the placenta so it makes it look weird.  She then looks at me and says "Melissa, your just weird".   So I have a uterus with very "impressive" and "weird" vascular veins.....I wasn't very comforted by this.   She is going to keep everyone aware of this, if I go into labor she said the nerve wracking thing is she doesn't know if they will bleed when I contract.  (Again...comforting when my peri uses the words nerve wracking.)   She said they shouldn't BUT she can't say for sure.  It sounds like if they were to bleed I would need a C-section.  FREAKS ME OUT....the bleeding part.

Hubby is putting me on some bed rest.   He is freaking out.   I am also going to start drinking 2 ensures a day to see if I can get some extra calories to Emily.   Also I HAVE to pack my hospital bag this weekend because at any week they could say "Your staying here"   

Here we were hoping for an uneventful pregnancy/birth after what we went thru with Cassie but it looks like we are getting some drama this time around also!

1 comment: