Wednesday, April 20, 2011

NOT what we expected to hear......

So this morning I got a call that my estradiol levels were elevated which indicated I may have a cyst on my ovaries. (This was unexpected but there was something more unexpected) We got to the clinic and the nurse took me back, told me they would do the HSN and also an U/S to verify if there is a cyst and then the doctor wanted to talk to me about something else. OK. Turns out I do have a cyst which isn't a big deal, very common and they go away on their own. The HSN looked good as well.

We went into a room and he told me my bloodwork came back that I have the
E Antibody. Before we proceed any further with IVF we have to meet with a High Risk Pregnancy doctor! So here is the lo-down on the E Antibody.(this is long)

On a blood cell are many proteins. From what we are gathering my husbands blood has the E protein. This is a normal protein but because I don't have it...this is where the problem happens. Once my blood comes into contact with the E protein it thinks that its an "invader" and my body makes antibodies to fight and kill it. Once those antibodes are made they stay with you forever in case the "invader" comes back. The doctor thinks when I was giving birth to Cassie I was exposed to this protein...meaning she inherited her Daddies blood. (They assume the placenta tore during birth and the blood from the placenta mixed with my blood) Sometime later is when my body made the antibodies. Since Cassie was already born this didn't effect her.

So again...having the E antibodies means my body is prepared to kill off the "E" protein if it was to be exposed to it again. This becomes a risk and concern for future babies. A baby has a 50/50 chance of having the Mom or Dads blood type. If the baby has my blood type then everything is fine and there are no risks. But if the baby has my husbands blood type then there are risks because the baby will have the E protein and my body has the E antibodies. So....if the baby has my husbands blood and and the babies blood leaks though and mixs with mine my body will create more antibodies and attack my unborn baby. This will cause the baby to be anemic, stillborn, heart failure or other problems. If the baby were to become anemic the doctors would have to do in the womb blood transfusions for the baby. If I became pregnant I would need blood draws done often to measure the amount of antibodies. If they were to start rising above a certain number then blood trasfusions in utero would be needed.

Now...there are women who have this antibody and go on to have healthy pregnancys, alot of cases are very mild BUT not in all cases. In the severest cases babies can die.

Scary huh? We were shocked. So our next step is to meet with the High Risk Pregnancy doctor to discuss things and IVF is on hold. This puts a whole new spin on things. Do we really want to proceed with IVF knowing it could result in a high risk pregnancy? I know its a 50/50 chance but it is darn scary.

Maybe we are just destined to have Cassie. More than ever today we are reminded of what a miracle she is. When putting her to bed tonight she wrapped her little arms around my neck and just squeezed. She then said "I love you Momma". We stayed like that for a couple of mins. So blessed.

3 comments:

  1. So scary!! I'm sorry you had to hear such awful news. Your precious Cassie is a complete miracle:)

    I just want to encourage you about moving forward though, if another baby's on your heart..My pregnancy was considered high-risk due to my blood disorder (antiphospholipid syndrome) - I had three antibodies that would potentially attack my unborn baby. So I was constantly being monitored at the high-risk clinic throughout my pregnancy. I remember feeling intimidated the first time I walked in there. But then I ended up feeling simply blessed, knowing not only that God had this tiny unborn life in His hands, but also I was thankful for the fact that we live in the age of modern medicine, where highly trained doctors can regularly check on the baby and also give the mother medicine to combat those harmful antibodies. I gave myself a daily injection of heparin and then switched to lovenox at my third trimester. The shots weren't so bad - I got used to them:) I also have a friend who is RH negative and was able to get just two shots from her clinic - one at the beginning and one at the end of her pregnancy. And her little girl was born perfectly healthy in every way.

    Anyway, I just wanted to give you some encouragement to not give up, or give up hope, if you and your husband do decide you want to move forward with IVF. Best wishes with your decision. I'll be praying for you!! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized it was actually the other way around! I gave myself lovenox first and switched to heparin at my third trimester:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Melissa, I am so sorry to hear there is one more obstacle for you and having another baby. I am so sorry you have to go through all of this. Your Cassie is a miracle and I am so happy that you have her. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete