Thursday, April 21, 2011

E Antibody Drama!!

I don't know where to start....first I will start off with some things that we were not happy about that happened at the clinic yesterday.   In my last post I said the doctor did the HSN which insurance does NOT cover.  This costs us close to $2,000.   It is needed to make sure there are no fibroid or polyps that would stop an embryo from implanting.  We don't understand why our doctor went ahead and did this test when he knew he was going to tell us to put IVF on hold and getting pregnant could result in a high risk pregnancy.  Wouldn't you tell the patient about the E Antibody and complications associated with it FIRST and then see if the patient wanted to proceed with the HSN or wait until we talked to the High Risk Pregnancy doctors?  I mean if the doctors were to tell us it would be extremely high risk to proceed chances are we are not going forward with IVF.   Matt was pretty upset by this and I agreed with him.   He ended up calling the doctor and told him what we thought about this.  The doctor actually agreed with Matt and told him they will not bill us until we talk with the High Risk Doctors and decide how to proceed.  He admitted he made a mistake.

Second....when we were discussing all of this with the doctor I asked him if my medical records from our old clinic showed what the results were for the E Antibody.   He didn't have my records with him, he didn't bother to go and grab them, he just said "I don't think they ran OB panels".  Really?   Your not even going to check?   You don't know for sure but you THINK??   I was not happy with this. When we got home I called and left a message telling them I wanted them to review my medical records from our first round of IVF and to send me a copy of the blood work.   This morning I get a call not from a nurse but from our doctor.   He was looking at our medical records and said they DID test me for this and it turns out I had the E Antibody way back then!!  
  • My old clinic NEVER discussed this antibody with me
  • I was pregnant with Cassie without knowing I carried this antibody
My new doctor is going to review all of Matt's blood work to find out if Matt carries the E Antibody in which case we are fine and there are no problems!  If he can't find lab work for Matt on this he will have him specifically tested for this antibody.  Is this why my old clinic never brought it up because Matt had the antibody also so it wasn't even an issue??  That is our thought.  If Matt doesn't have the antibody then we are pretty lucky that Cassie had no effects!!

Why did I, as the patient, have to request the doctor to please review my medical records?   He should be doing that without me pressuring him.  Before he sat down with us to tell us we needed to halt everything and there could be problems he should have had all the facts straight and reviewed all our medical records!!! 

It wouldn't surprise me if Matt is carrying the E antibody.  I remember our old clinic remarking on our blood results.  We are the same blood type and are both RH negative.  Because we are both RH negative I didn't need the Rhogam shot.   I don't think they had ever seen a couple both be negative.  Now it could be we both carry the E antibody?  If that is true I don't know how in the world either one of us got it because I didn't get it thru childbirth since I had it before Cassie was conceived and neither of us has had a blood transfusion.  We may end up being a mystery to the doctors! :o)

I am waiting for the doctor to call me back, he is going to let me know if he finds any lab work results for Matt or if Matt needs to come in again.   I'll let you all know how are saga continues!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is crazy! I hope you guys get some good news soon!

    ReplyDelete