Friday, June 11, 2010

Heartbroken


So...yesterday Athena was by Cassies highchair and Cassie was next to her with her arms draped over her back, everything was fine and in an instant Athena growled and snapped at Cassie, Cassie fell to the floor and started screaming. I screamed because I was so shocked! I picked Cassie up and made sure she was ok. Athena didn't bite her but that was scary. I don't know if Athena found food on the highchair and got possisve or the thought crossed my mind maybe something was hurting her (she is getting old) and Cassie leaned on her wrong. I don't know why it happened but it did. We have never had a problem, Cassie hugs her, helps put food in her food bowl for dinner, Athena eats food out of her hand....but yesterday we had a problem and it scared me.

I tried to think of how I could prevent something like that happening again but did I want to take the chance it would happen again....NO. What happens if I am not so lucky next time? Cassie is eye level with Athena which means if she bites her....its her face. Take that chance? No. So...I called my parents in tears and told them what happened. They agreed with me, came over and picked up Athena. Athena LOVES them, especially my Dad and is happy as can be over there. I have called numerous times to check on my furbaby. She has gone for a walk, played ball and swam. My parents are keeping her for the time being...maybe they will end up keeping her forever or my brother mentioned taking her. I am hoping my parents keep her because then I will see her all the time and still be able to go walking with her. I cried so much last night I felt sick and had to go to bed. This morning was hard not seeing my big puppy and Cassie was calling for her which really broke my heart and the waterworks started again. I love that dog, she was my first "baby" and really helped me while we were going thru infertility but as much as it hurts I can't risk this happening again and not being so lucky. What if she would have bitten her face...got her eye??!! This is hard. :o(
It may be different if Cassie was bigger and older and knew to watch out for signs from Athena but she doesn't know that yet. How could I live with myself if I saw this warning sign, I ignored it and something really happened down the road? I can't. At least I know my Pup is having fun and being loved right now...most likley more love than she was getting here since she doesn't have to share it with Cass. This sucks and as the title says I am heartbroken.




On another note we had Birth to 3 come to the house this morning to see is Cassie will qualify for them to come out and help with Speech Therapy. I had the speech therapist from Childrens fax me her evaulation and gave to the girl who came today. Cassie did awsome with her today and was interacting with her....yay!!! No stranger danger today!! This is why I want Birth to 3 to come out because it is so much easier on Cassie to be in her own home to work on speech than to go to the hospital which she has a phobia of. Do not close that girl in a room at the hospital....she will scream and cry thinking someone is going to hurt her. Poor girl So, I find out next week if she qualifys for the program.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. I am waiting for Cass to wake up and then heading to my parents. They are going to watch Cass so I can take my big yellow dog for a walk and have a talk with her about her actions and why she is staying with Grandma and Grandpa. :o) Man...I really need to stop crying because my contact lenses are so cloudy I can't see out of them and I really don't need another headache like last night. :o(

Naughty girl unrolled the toiletpaper


2 comments:

  1. Oh Melissa I am so sorry! That is such a horrible and hard decision to make. I don't know what I would do if I had to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that must be heartbreaking! I can't even imagine having to send my dog to my parents. But I think that you made the right choice. Maybe even if it's just until Cassie is older?

    ReplyDelete