Thursday, May 13, 2010

Speech Evaluation

Yesterday was a busy day. Cassie woke up around 6:30 this morning, I had my cup of coffee and we played. She ate some cheesey scrambelled eggs around 8:00 and I started my grocery shopping list. My Mom came over around 9:30 to watch Cassie and I went shopping. I never bring Cassie with me on big shopping trips because #1 - I need the whole cart for my trips and #2- I don't think she would make it sitting in a cart for over an hour. I got home and we played a while longer then she stopped mid-play, went to her crib and said "up" In her crib she went and off to nappy land. The girl must have been tired to want to go right to bed!!

Cassie slept for over 2 hours. She woke up shortly after 1:30 and I had to quickly feed her lunch, get her dressed (she stayed in pjs during the morning) and head off to pick up Matt from work. Then we headed to Childrens Hospital for Cassie's speech evaulation.

I warned the speech therapist right away that Cassie is not liking others right now because of our last visit to Childrens where they cleaned out her ear tube. We got into the little room where they do the session and once that door closed the tears flowed. Kids with cleft palates can have problems with the soft palate not completley closing off the nose from the mouth and this will result in nasal-sounding words. Currentily no speech therapy is needed and we go back in 6 months to be re-evaluated. She did give me some info and some words to work on with Cassie in the mean time. I am planning on her needing some therapy because the majority of kids with clefts need some. Heck...I didn't have a cleft palate and I needed speech therapy.

We then had to do a hearing test. Cassie sat on my lap in a closed in booth. Speakers were on either side of her. She had fun in that test because they had toys that lit up when she looked at the sound. She passed with flying colors. After the test they had to check the tubes in her ears...she screamed! She remember last week when they cleared out her tube. Turns out her right tube is still blocked but the good news is it is not affecting her hearing. I have to call Dr. Martin and find out what he wants to do about it. These doctor appointments wouldn't be so bad if Cassie didn't go so stressed out during them. Poor girl!

Pictures:



No comments:

Post a Comment