Sunday, October 4, 2009

Dropping more bottles....all of them??!!


I talked to the nurse from Childrens Hospital on Friday letting her know that Cassie was resisting the cup and was still on 3 bottles a day. I told her I was fine if we have to move the surgery date....however, she said now is the time to do the cleft surgery to prevent any speech problems. Personally, I don't think postponing the surgery by 3 months would matter. She told me I should quit the bottles cold turkey, just throw them away and she will eventually get thirsty enough where she will drink from the cup...I was almost in tears with the thought of doing that to Cassie. On Friday Cassie was beside her self because of her missing bottle, there was nothing I could do for her. I grabbed a yogurt, went into the bedroom and turned on her Pluto cartoons and got a spoonful in her mouth...she ate the whole yogurt and was peechy keen after that.



Basically I have been replacing a bottle with yogurt and she seems fine with that! She is still resisting her sippy but she has taken sips here and there. In the morning she is eating a whole 6oz jar of bananas (she has NEVER done that) and she eats 3 cartons of Yo-baby a day plus other food. I think if she could survive on Banana and Yobaby she would...I have to trick her to eat other foods!! Its been stressful for me on how she will react to this but she has done pretty good, just a little whiney.

Last night she didn't get a bottle all day, we gave her a 3 oz bottle at night. Today no bottle all day, INCLUDING tonight, I just laid her in bed and she fell asleep!!! So....its looking like surgery will be a go on the 23rd. We have our pre-op on the 21st. Not looking foward to this but can't wait till its over!!


Ignore the messy shirt - we had a bib mishap

She LOVES being pushed around the house on this car!

3 comments:

  1. My goodness I can't imagine how hard it is to take away her bottles! You are doing a great job and it looks like she is doing well! Good luck with the surgery coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went ahead and gave Lily milk in her cup. Turns out she doesn't like milk so now I put Ovaltine in it :). She loves yogurt too. Don't worry though - it took us about 1 1/2 weeks before Lily really got a hang of it. She loves the Nuby cups and they don't spill as much as the others without the valve. She still doesn't drink much though. Maybe 8 ounces a day which is a huge decrease. As long as she has wet diapers everything should be okay. Please let me know if you need anything - praying for you as you transition. Can't believe surgery is coming so soon. Ours is on the 21st. Aghhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our doctor actually gave us the Nuby cup so I assume it is safe for surgery. It's so crazy because different doctors require different things. The Nuby's do require them to chew on the nipple. Hopefully that will be okay because that's all she is using. Lily's favorite dairy product is pureed cottage cheese with a baby fruit in it. Isn't that weird? She loves yogurt too. I was so stressed the first few days that I would just cry when Lily refused her cup. I have slowly learned to give that up because I can't force her. Before you know it, we will be through surgery. I can't believe the first year has already gone by. Can't wait for surgery to be over. I'm going to finally update my blog :). Keep me posted on Cassie. I'm praying for you guys! It is so encouraging to talk to another parent going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete