Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Elbow Restraints

We got the elbow restraints in the mail yesterday and I tried them on Cassie. Lets just say she was not thrilled at all.







We want Cassies recovery to be smooth as can be as well as safe. Her screaming at the top of her lungs can't be good for the palate repair either. When we are with her we will take the restraints off so she can play and do her normal things. When they are on she can't bend her elbows to grab her toys that are near by - its just going to infuriate her. The object of the restraints is go stop her from putting things in her mouth but as long as we are there we can do that.


Fortunatly Cassie is not a thumbsucker and doesn't put her fingers or toys in her mouth alot. Bedtime will also be tough. I have watched her for the past night and naptime and she never puts her fingers in her mouth. We may put her to bed without them while I stay in there to keep an eye on her until she is asleep. Once she is sleeping she is out like a light. Now if she was a thumbsucker we could not do that.

I am stressing out because I want recovery to be safe yet not traumatic on her. We'll just take it a day at a time and see how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. I am praying!!! God is going to take care of our little girls. He promises that! Cassie will do great. You are fortunate that she doesn't put a lot of things in her mouth. Lily puts EVERYTHING in her mouth - from fingers to toys. I'm sure we will have to use the "no-no's". I just keep telling myself that God doesn't give us more than we can handle and He felt that we were able to handle this. He will see us through...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I hadn't thought about the sucking ... Angela sucks on her fingers to fall asleep. So you order the elbow restraints on yoru own? They don't send you home from teh hospital with them? Angels will have her surgery probably April of next year or so. Good luck! My thoughts and prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened to her arm?

    ReplyDelete