Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Speech Skills

This morning we had a follow up appointment with Cassie's speech therapist at Childrens Hospital.  I sat back and watched the therapist work with Cassie....so proud of her.   Her therapist said Cassie is doing fantastic.   She also said she has excellent articulation and has no nasal emission as a result of her cleft palate.  No nasal emission!!!!  This is the best news ever.  She told me "You have done a great job working with her Mom"  she said it can be hard for a parent to work with a child on speech and for the child to respond.  She told me I should become a speech therapist and work at Childrens.   What a compliment!  I almost cried.   But I have to give credit where credit is due....Cassie is so easy to work with and willing to learn.   So proud of this little girl.     We would normally go back for follow up in 6 months but because the therapist knows the twins will be around by then she she is pushing off the appointment till fall.

Cassie has become so independent lately.   She wakes up anywhere between 6 - 6:30 in the morning and will watch cartoons and drink her milk in the living room by herself for at least an hour so Mommy can get some more shut eye.   If she gets bored of cartoons she gets the IPad, turns it on, finds her apps and plays.  She is opening the fridge to get her own drinks and answers the phone for me.   When it rings she presses the speaker button and says "hello."   Daddy called once when I was in the middle of something so she answered.  She told him she was watching Mikey Mouse and that I was in the shower...then hung up on him.   Yesterday the phone rang and she was going to the bathroom so she yelled out "Mom, can you get that?"   Oh my gosh....it was so funny.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad she is doing soo well!! I didn't know she had a cleft palate!

    Sounds like she is growing quickly! Getting ready to be a big sister!!

    P.s - I have a give away going on, you should enter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, what a smart little girl you have - you sound like a very proud Mama!!:) So happy to hear how well she's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I love the phone stories! That's great! And I love that they are getting old enough to take care of themselves (especially early in the morning!). That's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete