Friday, January 6, 2012

12 weeks and first OB appointment

It feels good to be 12 weeks pregnant.   That's all I can say.

Today I met with my OB for the first time.   At first a nurse weighed me.  She asked how far along I was.  Then she asked if this was my first pregnancy.   I knew what she was getting at.  I told her I was carrying twins.   She said that explains it, she didn't want to come right out and say it but she said I am alot bigger than someone should be at 12 weeks.  I gained more weight which is good.   I started out being 124 before I was pregnant and now I am 132.  So I have gained 8 pounds so far.   The goal for twins is 45 pounds.

My doctor came in and we did the whole big talk about twins.    I need to take more folic acid than a someone with a singleton pregnancy.   I can't pick up Cassie after I am 24 weeks pregnant.  I asked her about bed rest and she said she can't ever remember putting anyone on bed rest with twins because it doesn't help with preterm labor or anything.   Our goal is going to be a vaginal birth at our hospital right in town.  As long as the first baby is head down and bigger than the second baby a vaginal birth will be a go.   If the second baby is breech she would do a breech extraction.   My normal due date would be July 18 but with twins I won't go past June 27th.   They would induce me if I don't go into labor by then.

After the twin talk we got to look at the babies.  She doesn't use the Doppler because its to hard identifying both babies heart beats so every visit I get a ultrasound....I LOVE that!!   She said both babies looked great.  Baby A is very active, kicking the legs and bouncing everywhere while Baby B seems more mellow. 

It was a great visit and I'm very happy with what my doctor had to say and with the plan for birth.  

Yea for being 12 weeks pregnant with twins!

Baby B is up higher and Baby A is lower.

12 weeks pregnant - measuring 14 weeks

2 comments: