Saturday, February 2, 2013

A Rough Week

This past week was kinda crazy.  

Wednesday morning Mandy started to "freak out".  She just cried and cried.  Reaching for me, hand in mouth, swatting away her bottle.   I couldn't figure out what was wrong and then the light bulb flipped on.   I ran my finger along her lower gum and felt it....dun dun dun dun!!!   Her first tooth!!   It had popped thru the gum.  I had no clue she was even ready to pop teeth since she never let on until it actually happened.   Then the next day....same thing happened.   I looked, lo and behold was her second tooth.   2 teeth in 2 days!!   Cassie didn't get her first tooth till 9 months.

Sleep - Emily went from getting up once a night to twice a night.   Matt was also getting into the office at 2 am because of having to make phone calls to London.   This left me getting up at least 3 times in the middle of the night.   (once with Mandy and twice with Emily)  TIRED.  I was only getting 3 hours of sleep at a stretch.  This sleep went on for 5 days and I did feel like I was ready to loose it.   Sleep deprivation....uck.   (Thankfully last night she only woke up once)

It wouldn't be so bad if it was one baby and I had to get up twice, its just adding that second baby into the mix.   They are both really good babies its just having 2 that makes it tough.   Naps have been not so good either.   30 mins....whats that??!!    Leaves no break for Mommy. 

 Its during those times when there is teething, no sleep etc...that's its easy to loose perspective.   How blessed I am.   That there are women out there who want this...would give anything to have what I have.  I was once one of those women.   Just sometimes no sleep makes you forget that this is what its all about.   Being  Mommy means, getting up for your sweet little babies and comforting them.  That they are crying because they need me....they want me.    That's the best feeling in the world.   There will come a day when my little babies won't need me to hold and cuddle them.  Won't need me to comfort them like I do now.  

I will have all the sleep I need someday, these days won't last forever and yes....someday I will want these days back. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your awesome perspective - you are so right that even during the exhaustion you are blessed!

    That being said I think it's perfectly okay to vent sometimes. Getting little/no sleep is HARD. I always say it's the most difficult part of parenting! I don't know about you but I feel like I can conquer just about anything on adequate sleep. Sleep deprivation? Not so much. I hope the teething doesn't last too long and your baby girls start sleeping more so you can too, Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We too have twins (six-month-olds) and have had a few days that you just think will never end. Constant crying and screaming, but like you, we struggled to have them, and are incredibly blessed that they have entered our lives. It is always good to keep things in perspective because on days like this I try to think back to before we had them knowing that at that point in my life this is all I wanted, two screaming babies. I think that this is a blessing in disguise for those of us who struggled to have kids, but were finally able to because we can look back and remember the sadness and pain we felt prior to having those little babies and know that any amount of loss of sleep, crying, or screaming trumps the sad feelings we would get seeing pregnant ladies, ladies with newborns, and not knowing if that would ever be us...

    ReplyDelete