Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving at the ER

This Thanksgiving I hosted for the first time ever.   I got the turkey ready in the morning and popped it in the oven around noon.  We planned on eating around 4:00.   It was around 3:30 that time got away from me.   I was feeding a baby and realized what time it was.   Handed the baby off to someone, grabbed the turkey out of the oven, set the table, peeled potatoes and started them boiling..... 

Matt came down with a cold on Thanksgiving.   So...he was not much help when it came to taking care of babies while I tried to get dinner ready.   And men are such babies when they are sick....at least mine is.   I have a hard time with showing sympathy when he is moaning and groaning, I have to try not to roll my eyes.  

Dinner turned out OK.   Next year I will buy a bigger turkey and I didn't make nearly enough gravy.  I don't know what I was thinking.   I will blame it on the twins and sleep deprivation.   BUT now I know what I will do differently next year.

Later in the evening I had Mandy and Emily on the floor.  I was getting them ready for PJ's but I let them have some "naked" time for a while.  I happened to be feeling Emily's toes and felt a ball of something.  It turned out to be some of my hair wrapped around her toe.   I tried getting it off, it just got tighter.  Matt tried getting off....it got tighter.   It was starting to dig into her skin like wire.  Her toe was bleeding, she was crying and then her toe started turning red/purple because it wasn't getting any blood.   I told Matt we had to take her to the ER, so off we went.   I told the nurse what was happening and they directed us to a room.   The doctors were trying to cut it off and they couldn't get it either as it was so tight, at one point the doctor asked if it was carpet fiber and I said No, its my hair....I must have bionic hair. They ended up numbing her toe so she wouldn't feel pain from the knifes by her skin,  she was crying so hard her eyes were glazing over so they gave her a break and waited for the other ER doctor to arrive for his shift to see if he had any other ideas to remove it.  When he arrived he took a knife and actually cut a slit into her skin to remove the hair.   What she had is called a Hair Tourniquet.   We were not the first case of this the ER has seen either.  It does become an emergency situation because if its not found in time the toe could have to be amputated because of no blood flow.  SO....it was an interesting end to Thanksgiving.

Picture of a Hair Tourniquet

2 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! That sounds so terrible:( I am so sorry. You deserve a Thanksgiving do-over! ((Hugs)) So glad to know your daughter's toe was at least okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so scary! My hair is always everywhere, now I am gonna be freaking out about it gettin tangled on my girls!

    ReplyDelete